Monday, June 30, 2008

I did not like it... But I did it!

Yup I really must have been on drugs when I said I would do that 5k Walk/ run. I woke up Saturday morning about 6 am and saw that it was raining outside, My first thought was , Oh there is a god.. Rain means I am not going.. But at 645am the rain was past and I no longer had an excuse. So I had to get up and continue on my day.. I got to the race and of course the first thing I noticed was that I was the fatest person there, and instantly had all kinds of self-conscience thoughts running thru my head and then got even more nervous about being able to do it. At first it when I said I would do it I thought how tough can it be but as the time approached I was panicking about not being able to do it.

At the starting point my worries still did not go away. Looking all around me were all these very fit individuals who definitely looked the part of runners. There were of course many other people who were not and then I made a promise to myself that as long as I did not come in last I would be happy.. After the singing of the national anthem the race was off... I started off strong and had every intention of doing the walk 1 minute, jog 1 minute and did that about four times, then that changed to walk 2 minutes and jog 1 minute and that lasted for a VERY short time.. Then I went to a fast walk... Of course I thought I was walking very fast but people kept passing me and how upsetting that was. Specially when some of these people were very much older then me and I was being smoked.. My sister who was with me, was very supportive of me and I know I slowed her down but she stuck by me.. Thanks Sis..

After the 1st mile I already had blisters on my toes because I definitely did not have the right shoes and you can bet I will not make that mistake again. I already went out and purchased a nice pair of running shoes that are supposed to correct my feet and help me out a bit.. I asked for a pair of shoes with wings on them but they were fresh out...lol

After the first mile, I was about to die.. I never realized that a mile was so loooooong... That mile was done in 15 minutes but it went down hill after that. In the middle of the 2nd mile, the whining started... "I don't like this" was all I kept saying," I am never doing it again" was another phrase that popped out of my mouth several times. At the third mile my legs were like lead and felt like I could barely lift them, my hands had swelled up because I kept them down too much with no circulation and my massive thunder thighs burned a hole thru my pant leg and I could smell burning pork...lol but lo & behold the end was near. It was like an island oasis in the distance. Nothing every looked so good. When I got to the finish line I was done!!! I stopped immediately and of course came very close to passing out, not quite but very close. I am sure I was dehydrated as I sweating out way more water then I could put in..Finished time was 54 min and something .. So roughly just under 18 minute miles. AND I did not finish last.. Very close to it but not last ..

On the way home it hit me.. My shins were in agony I could barely lift my feet.. Apparently I was taking too long of a stride and that is why that happened. When I got home I sat on the couch for several hours before continuing on with my day. The next day I got up and boy was I hurting, my shins and calf muscles had seen better days and I was moving VERY SLOW.. Heck I am still moving very slow today also as they are still very sore.

I am signed up for another race on July 12th and you can bet I will try and get myself a tad bit better prepared for it, I do not want to go thru that hell again. I had even contemplating backing out of the race but I know my cousin healthier Chelle would beat my butt.

So I guess when I get home tonight I will try out my new shoes and see how well I will do.

Take care everyone.. Talk to you all later..

PS.. Sorry but I did not get pictures this weekend but Hopefully I will get it done tonight

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is right Michele, YOU WILL DO IT AGAIN, and AGAIN. and each time it will get better!!!! Keep up the good work!!! You will be running before you know it.

Healthy Chelle said...

No backing out!

You did great!

Can't wait til the 12th!

I must warn you though, there will be a strict "No saying I can't" rule being enforced! And since you already did it once I know you can!