Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I bet you all are wondering why

I have not posted about my starting weight.. At least this is something that has been on my mind for quite a while so I thought today would be a good day to talk about it. Any of you who are overweight can probably understand the embarrassment of revealing your actual weight. I am certainly one of those people, my weight to me is a source of constant shame even when I have lost weight in the past I kept my mouth shut on what my actual weight was because usually I was still fat even after losing weight.. For example: 2 years ago I dropped 80lbs yet was still very heavy. There was no way in the world I was gonna make it public knowledge that even after dropping that much weight I was still so much heavier then most everyone around me, not to mention giving my past history of gaining weight back people would for sure know what kinda cow I was.

There are a few people out there that I have told my weight secret to, and for the most part I am pretty sure people can guess just how much I do weigh but for now I am just not ready to share my secret with everyone. This is one of many mental issues that I must deal with in the near future. However, I am willing to make the pledge that on the day the scale shows me I lost 100lbs I will no longer keep my secret. As of this morning I am happy to say I am 1/3 of the way to that 100lb mark. I am down 36 lbs so far from the day I came home from the hospital. But keep in mind I had lost 23 lbs before the surgery on the liquid protein diet but my hospital stay made me gain it all back with water retention. Since leaving the hospital I lost all that again plus an additional 13 lbs. I am told that the weight will come off dramatically the first 6 months to a year and then the weight loss will taper off and stabilize. So we will wait and see what happens.

I am doing much better today and really trying hard to keep my mind occupied with good thoughts. I kinda figure out that I am basically having food withdrawals. Like any addict does when they are not able to get a fix.. and lets face it I am a food addict. I use food like a drug for instant but temporary gratification. Since the surgery I have really been able to see just how much I used food to make me happy. Having this surgery has really opened my eyes and shown me just exactly how bad the problem was/is, the surgery of course has forced me to give up my addiction. Now I just have to really concentrate hard and work at retraining my thought process towards food. I am confident that in time it will get easier & easier.

Here is something for all of you to try and show your support for me .. Give up something you are addicted to for just one day. For example; if you drink soda everyday, give it up for one day. If you eat every night in front of the TV, give it up for a night, if you smoke give it up for a day. By doing this you can experience some of what I am dealing with just now and who knows maybe the one day might lead into something more for you and help you break an unhealthy addiction..

I would love to hear what you plan on giving up so leave me a post and let me know how it goes.

3 comments:

Healthy Chelle said...

I know what you mean about getting the actual number out there in the open. It is pretty scary.

I am not sure yet what I am going to give up...I'll let you know.

I am going to be tested quite a bit over these next few weeks myself. I replaced food addiction with exercise addiction, specifically running. I have to take two weeks off due to tendinitis. Hope I can stay away from old habits!

Love you!

Unknown said...

I gave/ giving up eating food late at night in front of the tv. and its hard, and sucks, but i've been able to do it for the last couple of weeks, soo YAY! and I'm exercising more, you should try that for a replacement thing, its fun, and makes you feel good and keeps you happy:)
Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele:

Keep up the good work. I know it is tough but keep the ultimate goal in your mind. And you will succeed. I am 150% behind you..